Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Purpose of the Role
Frontier has a long and rich history of developing management simulation games, starting with RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 in 2004; this has branched out to games like Jurassic World Evolution and evolved into our Planet franchise with Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster.
We are currently offering the opportunity for a Senior Designer to work on the continued support and expansion of our genre-leading family of Planet games.
As a Senior Designer, you will work closely with the Design lead, playing a key role as an owner of multiple technical design aspects of the game, taking responsibility at all phases of a system’s life cycle. You are responsible for delivering the best possible game experience for the features/areas you are working on to schedule and quality. You will ensure that pipelines and tools are fit for purpose, appropriately directing those working below you and personally defining and exhibiting best practices.
- Design – Involved at every stage of the project, happy to be hands-on, helping set the benchmark for quality and good working practice.
- Communicate and Champion – Ensure that the game design, especially the areas you are in charge of, is clearly communicated and fully understood across all disciplines. Ensure that feedback is assessed and acted on where appropriate.
- Deliver – Deliver your own work on time and to a high quality, ensuring other departments have met the broader design needs and compromising where needed. Help break down and estimate tasks, ensure quality and mitigate risk.
- Enrich – Support an environment where team members are encouraged to grow, develop, and work cohesively.
- Reporting – Report progress and risks and offer insights into opportunities and improvements to the Lead Designer.
- Significant games industry experience with full development lifecycle on at least one AAA game title at the level of full or above, ideally in the management and strategy genre, but this isn’t essential.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills, confident in communicating across the game team and building strong relationships.
- Direct experience in designing and delivering complex game features, process and tools using current industry-standard tools or equivalent proprietary software.
- Experienced at scheduling, estimating and prioritising work.
- Critical and analytical thinker, able to step out of their role and think from a player’s perspective, delivering accessible and engaging ways to interface with complex systems.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed