Are you an artist with a broad range of skills, with a passion for creating amazing game experiences? Are you looking for a new opportunity in a friendly, respectful and exciting studio? Auroch Digital is looking for artists to help deliver a broad range of games, from retro-inspired action games to stylized, top-down strategy & management games.
Auroch are part of the Sumo Group of companies, originally established in 2010 and with an extensive catalogue, including Mars Horizon and Dark Future: Blood Red States. We have an exciting stable of licensed and independent IP games in development including our upcoming beer brewing hobby game Brewmaster. Our diverse, friendly, and enthusiastic team are based in the centre of Bristol, but we are open to remote working for the right candidate. We have a company ethos that strongly values work-life balance and supporting our people to grow. We want our people to have a positive influence on other team members and a passion to support others.
As a Senior Technical Artist, you’re a motivated self-starter, able to help spot opportunities where a technical artist can make outsized contributions to the scope and quality of our games. You’ll help designers configure content, create art tools to expedite or automate asset creation, work on shaders, effects and other visual systems and be the bridge between the art and programming teams. You’ll be able to develop your role into a leadership position if desired.
- Integrate art assets in-engine in UE4 and/or Unity following gameplay & technical requirements
- Setup scripting and logic for visuals across projects
- Research, plan & create tools and pipelines for exporting, importing and generating assets in DCC tools and in-engine
- Create advanced materials & shaders in both PBR and Non-Photorealistic styles
- Act as the bridge between the art, gameplay and programming team
- Work with the lead artists and programmers during pre-production to identify and prototype features that would benefit from a technical artists’ contribution
- Help lead artists, programmers and producers plan, estimate task times, schedule and prioritize technical features and content.
- Provide mentorship for other technical artists or generalists
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends and relay these back to the team.
- A portfolio demonstrating technical art tools, pipelines, or game features supported by technical art.
- Experience writing clean, coherent C++ or C# code for technical art features
- Experience writing in Bolt/Blueprint code or scripting languages such as Python/MEL
- Working knowledge of 3DSMax, Substance Painter & Designer, and Adobe CS to create assets for testing and verifying prototype features and tools
- Up-to-date knowledge of modern workflows and art techniques
- Strong debugging skills with excellent attention to details
- Excellent communicator who is able to explain creative and technical ideas simply to colleagues across discipline
- Self-motivated and directed, able to work with minimal feedback and oversight to deliver project goals.
- Able to provide feedback to other technical artists or generalists working on tech art in a positive, supportive manner
- Strong vector math knowledge for use in 3D shaders/mesh generation
- Experience writing HLSL / GLSL shader code in Unity or UE4
- Experience in other areas of art (such as VFX, Modelling or Texturing) to support the art team
- Technical animation experience (skinning, rigging, animation graphs and state machines)
· We don’t agree with using crunch (here's our take on it)
· We won’t get in the way of you working on your own indie dev projects in your own time
· Remote, office based or hybrid are all totally fine working options
· 27 days holiday total (including your Birthday off!) which increases for long term service
- The option to take three months unpaid sabbatical leave after three years of service
· Competitive salary
- Bonus scheme
· Flexible working
· Pensions contribution
- Dental cover
- Life insurance
- Income protection
- A pot of money to spend in Uchoose on extra benefits like health insurance, adding family members etc.
· Ongoing support for training and career development, including 5 learning days a year, 1 of which can be
used for volunteering
Your application should include a short covering letter explaining a little about your previous experience and why you think you would be a good fit for the role, and a current CV with relevant work history. Though not required, if you have a portfolio or examples of previous work please also include them with your application.
Apply for this job
Location: Auroch Digital, Bristol
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed