At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in
Are you an imaginative concept artist with videogame leadership experience? You could be the Wizard we are looking for!
We are seeking an Art Lead to guide multiple AAA videogame projects on our Digital Publishing team. In collaboration with our internal creative and world-building teams and with the indie game studios we partner with, you will draw and paint bold new worlds, memorable characters, and fantastical ideas. Then you'll communicate our shared vision with partners and inspire them to success. That combination of artistic talent and collaborative, empathetic communication skills is what our team and our partners need to make phenomenal videogames published by the world leader in fantasy art.
What You'll Do:
- Lead by example through the creation of spectacular art to connect with and encourage our external partners. They bring a variety of experiences and cultures to their work and you can show them the right path to success.
- Create visual pillars, mood boards, reference guides, paint overs, and original concept art for characters, environments, props, and key scenes that serve as high-quality visual targets. Manage freelance artists and studios as needed to scale your work and impact.
- Assess and critique 3D assets of all kinds built by partners as well as overall art direction, lighting, and compositions to ensure top quality videogame production art. Help them solve problems and level up their abilities.
- We're in the relationship business. You will build warm, positive relationships with our partners and support them through the development process.
- Join brainstorming sessions on new concepts, worlds, characters, and creatures and follow up with sketches and artwork.
What You'll Bring:
- Expertise in fundamental art principles such as color, light, composition, and anatomy.
- A deep portfolio of concept art demonstrating your mastery of sketches, storyboards, and cover-quality finished art.
- Team leadership experience that shows you can frame a vision, pitch to executives, and communicate your ideas and your expertise across teams and subject areas.
- The ability to analyze, explain, and create distinctive visual styles across videogame genres.
- 3+ years as a creative leader in videogame art, including functional leadership experience as an Art Director, Art Lead, or Lead Concept Artist.
- Must have worked at least one complete cycle on a videogame from conception through release.
- Shipping experience with industry-standard 3D videogame art tools, pipelines, and game engines. Unreal experience is a plus.
- Has a good foundational knowledge of core WOTC brands.
- BA or BFA in 3D Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, or similar.
- Must work on-site at our offices in the Seattle area and must be willing to travel (both when safe to do so).
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.