The Creative Director, Marketing is a new role at Cloud Imperium Games with the responsibility of creating and leading award-winning caliber integrated marketing campaigns with consistent, emotionally resonant, and powerfully compelling narratives and design aesthetics. This leader is responsible and accountable for supervising a team of creatives and creating marketing collateral across a wide range of disciplines and media, including print, web, mobile, video, static display, audio/radio, editorial, and more. This role understands not only how to reach customers no matter what media they are consuming, but also understands how to win hearts and minds in the competitive consumer entertainment space.
The ideal candidate is a highly creative individual who has worked as a Creative Director in an advertising agency or in-house entertainment company, preferably with a portfolio of work involving interactive entertainment. Creative excellence and experience on global brands at scale are required. More importantly, they have the proven ability to coax award-winning creative work and visually appealing marketing collateral from a team of creatives working under their supervision. The candidate is used to a high level of multi-tasking and a fast-moving environment. Ability to juggle multiple creative projects at various lifecycle stages under intense deadlines is critical.
The ideal candidate has a collaborative work ethic and personality, and refined diplomacy skills. They are a strong communicator that can manage down successfully by guiding and mentoring a team of creatives while keeping them focused on the task. They manage sideways and up by seeking guidance and insight from peers and senior leadership across the broader marketing organization. They must be solution-oriented and see obstacles not as roadblocks but worthy challenges to overcome.
The Creative Director will be looked upon as a source of creativity and innovation within the marketing team, inspiring creatives to look past limitations by focusing on the positives and redirecting negatives. This includes rolling up their sleeves and delivering creative work themselves when necessary. They are a master storyteller, a visual virtuoso, an inspiring leader, a willing mentor, and a world-class brand builder. This role reports into the SVP, Marketing.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- 6+ years as a Creative Director in a creative ad agency or entertainment company
- Strong understanding of all aspects of Graphic, Design, and Audiovisual arts, as well as Copywriting and Marketing principles.
- A service-oriented agency mindset; this role works in-house at CIG but is expected to operate like a creative agency providing design and visual brand services to internal “customers” such as Sales, Product, Direct Marketing, and Community
- Proven ability in creating and producing successful, award-caliber marketing campaigns from the ground up.
- Demonstrated experience/portfolio of work that includes development of paid media (social, search, display), linear TV spots, non-linear OTA broadcast, radio/podcast, print, digital and web display, mobile advertising, video, outdoor and experiential assets.
- A portfolio that includes gaming, luxury, or automotive brand experience is a plus
- Oversee and manage a team of creatives, including graphic artists, in-game capture artists, illustrators, photographers, copywriters, and outside creative agencies.
- Mentor and develop our artists, writers, and other marketing creatives to produce their best work and foster an environment of creative collaboration and growth
- Establish and direct creative style for our games and marketing campaigns and be able to deliver consistently against that style in look and feel, tone and voice, and key messaging.
- Work collaboratively with Creative Director at our web Agency of Record to develop consistent brand design language and aesthetics across all web properties
- Create a visual style guide for the main games in the Cloud Imperium portfolio as well as the in-universe, fictional brands in the game that are represented on the website and in advertising
- Create and refine visual brand and marketing campaigns that set a high creative bar but also achieve business goals
- Work hand-in-hand with marketing producers to ensure timely creation and delivery of marketing assets to support all marketing and promotional campaigns
- Create and maintain creative workflow and processes that facilitate the development of great visual design across all marketing creative but prioritizes delivery, timeliness, and execution against clear business goals
- Actively participate in and lead collaboration workshops with internal stakeholders and external agencies to develop boundary-pushing assets and advertisings
- Ensure all marketing collateral is designed from the ground up with a holistic, 360 view of the customer and maintains a consistent brand aesthetic and creative feel across all channels
- Conceptualization, development, and execution of marketing and branding for paid media ads (social, search, display), linear TV spots, non-linear OTA broadcast, radio/podcast audio ads, print ads, digital and web display ads, mobile advertising, video, outdoor and experiential marketing.
- Holds regular creative reviews with SVP, Marketing and other key marketing stakeholders for all marketing projects to ensure consistent tone, design, and goals are being met
- Work collaboratively with game development creative directors to ensure the marketing materials accurately reflect the game and represent the fictional brands within the game accurately and authentically
- Occasional work creating in-game fictional ads
- This position is a “working” Creative Director role and is expected to contribute creative work alongside the team, although the majority of this role is in providing high-level creative direction, managing and developing the team’s work, and collaborating with stakeholders
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.