At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
The Art Director on the Duel Master's team will lead a team of Graphic Designers, production specialists and cross-functional partners to build, design and produce creative products for the brand-specific line. In addition, the Art Director leads all aspects of creative projects from conception through final printed product for brand specific teams.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing the creative direction, design, management and execution of Japanese market creative products and projects.
What You'll Do:
- Direct a team of Graphic Designers, Production Assistants and other creative staff by providing hands-on design direction.
- Monitor and direct design, layout, copywriting and output.
- Develop and execute creative strategies, concepts and solutions through the development and presentation of rough and final comps.
- Maintain the design integrity of the brand through quality control, consistency and timely completion of projects and review and approve print-ready files for editorial appropriateness and accuracy.
- Collaborate with Production Engineers to ensure all printed materials are produced to a consistently high standard.
- Ensure that timely and effective communication exist between cross-functional teams (Game Design, Japanese business partners, Project Management, etc.) to enable successful integration of all functional and developmental needs.
- Prepare and supervise budget and product timeline schedules and forecast.
- Identify and commission artwork from and provide art direction to freelance Illustrators.
What You’ll Bring:
- 3+ yrs experience in Art Direction or creative management for print
- Fluent in both Japanese and English (both written and verbally) with an emphasis on Japanese.
- Understanding of the Japanese work culture and communication styles
- Strong oral and written communication skills with an ability to “sell” creative ideas to the client.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Interpersonal, team-building skills with the ability to deliver concise and effective feedback. In turn, you also take feedback openly and well.
- Solid knowledge of modern print production and processes.
- High proficiency in digital graphic design technology, including illustration and production using desktop publishing and software applications in the Japanese Mac interface.
- You participate in brainstorming sessions with cross-functional teams to develop outstanding concepts.
- Analytical skills, and the ability to develop creative material through popular and economic trends or target customer, consumer and usage patterns.
- Marketing knowledge and strategy to do with advertising, promotion, merchandising and point-of-sale.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the gaming industry within the Japanese demographic/market is helpful, but not required.
- Degree in Graphic Design, Commercial Design or Fine Art preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please contact email@example.com.