PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Insomniac Games is searching for a Lead Character Artist to join our team of talented artists. The Lead Character Artist will maintain established quality and artistic consistency of character art, by high visual standards and project style as defined by Art Director. This candidate has an understanding of memory and frame budgets, production schedule and project goals, programming, animation, and design concerns, understands lighting basics, and sets best practices for bug fixing. They are also responsible for the career management, training, and well-being of Character team, as well as the management of offsite contractors and vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Manages the well-being of the character team through regular check-ins, performance management and career mentorship
- Works closely with Art Director to keep quality and style consistent across all characters
- Provides direction to character artists for aesthetic and technical considerations
- Sets the tone for character creation with advanced technique
- Maintains a clear and consistent schedule in conjunction with the Project Manager
- Works closely with the Tool and Engine team to develop new or improve upon old technologies to improve character model quality
- Participates in the planning for project environments
- Monitors the needs of rigging, animation, and design to ensure clean handoff for assets
- Works with concept team to insure concepts are at proper production quality
- Supervise bug distribution and verify bug fixes
- Other duties may be assigned
- The Character Lead schedules the team, reviews work for quality, and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Education and/or Experience: Fifth year college or university program certificate; or seven plus years related experience and/or training in video games or film; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert understanding of Photoshop, Maya, 3D Studio Max, Mudbox, and ZBrush (or equivalent)
- Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models
- Advanced understanding of complex node based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Editor 3, Mental Mill, etc.
- Basic understanding of GgFX, HLSL, or Cg from a technical artist’s perspective
- Understanding of Perforce
- Excellent foundations skills, including composition, design, and color theory
- The ability to work with detailed concept art or reference art/ materials
- Advanced knowledge of human and animal anatomy
- Strong traditional painting skills and the ability to create models and shaders for a range of art directions, from photorealistic to stylized
- Strong leadership and mentoring abilities and interpersonal skills
- Ability to find creative solutions for technically challenging tasks
Do you think you have what it takes?! If so, please apply below for our Lead Character Artist role, we look forward to reviewing your submission.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.