Position at SEGA European Head Office
LEGAL & BUSINESS AFFAIRS TEAM
BASED AT SEGA HQ IN BRENTFORD
REPORTING TO GENERAL COUNSEL
A BIT ABOUT SEGA
SEGA is one of the leading interactive entertainment companies in the world, with our European HQ based in West London and our five development studios spanning the UK, Bulgaria, France and Canada. Known for quality and creativity above all else, our studios include Sports Interactive, Amplitude Studios, Two Point Studios, The Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment.
At the heart of SEGA is our publishing team based in London, where we help the studios bring their creative vision to life. Here we have a hardworking bunch of people working in Tech, Sales, Marketing, Finance, QA and more.
Together, we drive the continued success and evolution of our Western business through living our company values of always collaborating, being entrepreneurial in spirit, having a winning mentality and focusing on uncompromising quality.
WORKING THE SEGA WAY
We believe that making the best games relies on having the best people, so we make sure that we look after ours…
- For our gaming buffs, you can get involved in our lunchtime gaming sessions in our games lounge, regular gaming tournaments and free SEGA games on Steam
- If you're more of a foodie, you can take advantage of Ice cream Wednesdays or our fresh fruit and cereal every single day
- Fitness fanatics will love our discounted gym membership, ride to work scheme, workout area and bootcamps in the park. You can find your zen with weekly yoga classes as well as in-house massage therapy
- You'll have access to a comprehensive benefits package that includes life assurance, income protection, private healthcare & dental insurance schemes and an enhanced contributory pension scheme. We offer competitive salaries and a fantastic bonus scheme so that you can stay motivated and focused on making SEGA the best it can be
- We hold regular lunch & learn sessions, company updates at the world-famous BAFTA theatre in Central London and Summer and Christmas parties that you’ll want to brag to your mates about! What’s not to love?
- We pride ourselves on having flexible working hours to ensure that you have a life outside of the office
- We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Check out our Careers website to find out why we are a workplace you’ll never want to leave!
Knowledge of the video games industry is preferable but not a requirement. Sound experience in IP and commercial law is necessary and the role requires a practical and commercial approach to projects with an emphasis on adding value to the business. The Legal Department endorses an "open door" policy and as such, the successful candidate will be required to assist colleagues in all of SEGA's business teams and studios.
The SEGA Legal department operates within a fast-paced, creative and dynamic environment and consequently the successful candidate will be able to effectively communicate with SEGA's employees in all levels of the business from junior temporary staff through to the Board of Directors. The candidate will be a team player, assisting the rest of the team and advising on major issues and projects affecting the company as a whole and will occasionally be required to take responsibility for some of these projects. Regular interaction and co-operation with the SEGA Legal Departments in the United States and Japan on global issues affecting SEGA is also integral to the role.
Negotiating drafting and advising on numerous types of agreements, including;
- Contributor "talent" agreements for voice-over, artists, music etc.
- Reviewing middleware licences;
- IP Licensing agreements for the use of third party IPRs;
- Publishing and First Party platform agreements;
- Distribution agreements;
- Marketing/sponsorship/influencer agreements;
- Development agreements;
- Competition terms and conditions.
- Advising on Data Protection and privacy compliance;
- Advising the creative and marketing teams on marketing campaigns on our digital channels;
- Working closely with SEGA's developers, producers, marketing, merchandising and distribution teams on a range of matters which affect the European business;
- Researching legal issues to evaluate the impact the changing legal landscape has to SEGA’s business (e.g., data protection, loot boxes, etc.).
- Reviewing game content to provide clearance for any copyright, trademark, publicity and other issues.
- Supporting the business in the mitigation of litigation risk to the business and the management of disputes
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Qualified solicitor with around 2-3 years PQE with demonstrable experience in general commercial law, IP law and Data Protection within video game, entertainment, technology, and/or FMCG industries.
- Ability to negotiate and draft a broad range of commercial agreements (including trade mark and software licensing, distribution, contractor agreements, software development and publishing agreements).
- Ability to deliver a broad range of advice and practical and commercial solutions to brand/data protection issues, piracy, licence issues and other general day to day requirements of the company.
- Confident and professional with the ability to build excellent working relationships and collaborate with a wide range of teams.
- Clear and concise communicator both written and verbally.
- Flexibility to react quickly, reschedule and prioritise workload.
- Confident in assessing situations and taking decisions solely when unsupervised.