People Manager, Brighton UK
• Salary: Annual with group performance bonus
• Format: Full-time, permanent
• Location: Brighton UK, starting remotely
• Reports to: Managing Director
Player Research is the premier partner for games user research.
We work with game developers to realise their creative visions by providing meaningful insight into how real players experience play.
Our People Managers own the performance management, employee wellbeing, and professional skill development for employees in each regional studio.
We’re seeking an experienced team manager who is passionate about helping people thrive.
You’ll support our talented team of research psychologists as they design, conduct, and deliver high quality research for our game development partners.
This is an established role within our business, developing under your guidance.
About The Role
People Managers help us maintain a happy and high-performing workplace. They coach, mentor, listen, improve and support people; they inspire our team to succeed, and are inspired by our team’s successes.
You’ll own the responsibilities of people management, personnel administration, performance evaluation, learning & development, and recruitment.
People Managers share responsibility for continuous operational readiness of our staff, and research premises, alongside Operations and Sales.
You’ll be supporting our teams as they deliver high-quality research projects: our researchers work closely with client stakeholders in teams of 2 or 3, to establish game design goals, then conduct research with players to test them. Each project lasts ~2 weeks.
You will lead the personal growth & high performance of our talented team.
The People Manager role ensures we’re investing in wide-ranging professional skill development and effective working practices in our workplace. Delivering successful projects. Nurturing successful staff.
In addition to coaching and mentoring staff yourself, you’ll also schedule training from third parties and Keywords’ Talent Development, and work in partnership with our Head of Research Craft to develop our teams’ technical skills.
Your coaching, feedback, guidance and support of our studio will keep us at the top of our game.
People Managers are not expected to be research experts nor hardcore gamers. Familiarity with research, UX or R&D processes is a benefit. Enthusiasm for video games as a professional domain is strongly beneficial.
We are seeking a people manager who believes that individuals perform best when trusted, empowered, and led-by-example.
We maintain a strong vision of our management culture and values: rooted in deeply-held trust and empathy among peers, deliberate communication, self-determination, and taking pride in the work we deliver together. Player Research is an exceptional place to work and grow. Ask us about our work/life balance.
• Manage 9 interdisciplinary staff in our Brighton research studio
• Collaborate with your colleagues (in Brighton and Montreal) to ensure the Brighton Studio maintains capable, motivated staff and smooth operation
• Apply your passion for coaching and training to drive professional skill growth for your direct reports and peers (e.g. on soft skills, client management, public speaking)
• Implement a schedule of regular feedback, one-to-ones, and peer-on-peer feedback
• Administrate biannual performance reviews
• Celebrate staff wins and promote team wellbeing
• Facilitate and oversee our hiring processes, and onboard new staff
• Be a point-of-contact to leverage our parent company Keywords Studios, who assist with our HR, finance, premises, IT, infosec, compliance, and other aspects of our operations
• Collaborate with Keywords’ UK-based central HR and your counterpart in Montreal, to maintain staff documentation (e.g. oversee immigration, schedule annual leave, translations of training materials, expense approvals)
• Collaborate with our Head of Research Craft to deliver their programme of technical training
• Work alongside the whole company to plan and implement new studio-wide and company-wide initiatives and special projects, both social and professional
• Lead-by-example, implementing our company values and improving how we work
Our Brighton team is presently eleven staff, with the goal of growing to fourteen (including you) by the end of 2021. Nine of these will be line managed by you.
Our Montreal team is five staff, growing to seven by the end of 2021, and are managed by your counterpart in Canada.
National/international travel is not an essential part of this role.
Location and Starting
The role is based in Brighton, UK. The role would begin remotely, eventually moving to flexible work between our office in central Brighton and you working from home.
Player Research pivoted to remote working in response to COVID-19 and is committed to remain so until vaccines are widely distributed. When it is safe to do so we will return to flexible working, from home and from our Brighton premises.
Our purpose-built playtesting labs are central to our service offerings and our collaborative, secretive work. We are presently not able to consider permanently remote candidates for this role.
We are a passionate and impactful company working on some of the biggest names in gamedev. For more about our company culture visit our careers page.
• Experience of exceptional people management, applicable to the traits of our business. For example, management experience in any of:
o Start-up or small businesses
o Teams of specialists, consultancies and/or agencies
o R&D or product development
o Video game production
• Confident with candid feedback, supporting a culture of honesty and ownership in talent-dense teams
• Knowledgeable on topics of company culture, leadership values, and the traits of innovative teams
• A demonstrable track-record of project ownership, self-determination and independent working
• Knowledge and excitement for video games, as a consumer or development professional
• Formal qualification(s) in management, professional development or wellbeing
• In-depth knowledge of employment and/or HR practices
• Knowledge of UX, research, R&D, or user-centred design
• 25 days annual leave + New Year period
• Life insurance
• Pension plan
• Income protection plan
• Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
• Optional private medical cover
• Brand new offices in central Brighton
Please submit a cover letter that outlines your professional successes and goals, your interest in working with Player Research, and a few words on your management style. Submit it along with a CV to:
The closing data for applications is 1st March 2021
We are not accepting CVs from agencies at this time.
We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, parental status, or disability. Player Research doesn’t simply accept differences — we actively celebrate and support them for the benefit of our job applicants, our employees, our services, and our community.
Stand out and be passionate. Good luck.
Your Personal Data
Player Research is strongly committed to protecting your personal information. By sending your CV/Resume, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions and consent to your data being managed and retained in accordance with our data privacy and retention policy.
Player Research is looking to hire a People Manager at their Brighton, UK location. Job contains the tags Lead, Senior, AAA and English.