At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
What is this role all about
We are seeking an experienced, proactive Senior 2D artist to concept industry-leading creatures, environments and VFX concepts for Arena. You will combine strong aesthetic sensibilities and a basic understanding of card game development to bring the world of Magic: the Gathering to life! This role utilizes a variety of tools to create inspiring and dynamic concepts and illustrations. You will collaborate with other artists, animators, and designers to deftly balance visual direction with the needs of the game. This role relies on a proven set of skills and foundation of being a successful 3D Video game dev artist which separates it from a card art illustrator or general concept artist.
What you'll do:
- Develop character concepts and skins including character sheets, movement studies and breakouts for equipments
- Generate concepts for top down environment/battlefields
- Story-tell and conceptualize VFX concepts through VFX sheets and texture creation
- Iterate on game assets with internal and external production artists via thumbnails, paint overs, studies, and group critiques
- Create additional 2D assets such as premium card sleeves, avatars, etc
What you'll bring:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in animation, film or game development focusing on conceptual artwork, or have equivalent experience.
- Expertise in 2D digital content creation tools such as Photoshop.
- Proficiency in human and creature anatomy and a keen eye towards form, shape, depth, perspective, structure, and silhouette in regards to illustration and design.
- Great knowledge of 3D softwares and production tools such as Maya, and Unity
- Excellent eye for light, value, composition, and color.
- Can invent and develop ideas from the thumbnail concept phase to final polished illustration.
- An understanding of how concepts translate to real-time game environments.
- Proficiency in drawing environments and structures in top down perspective.
- Familiarity with the distinctive Magic: the Gathering visual style and a passion to push it to the next level.
- Love for games!
- Experience in crafting visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals.
- Strong understanding of 3D art techniques & software packages such as Maya, Zbrush, 3DCoat and Substance.
- Proficiency with 2D/3D animation, 3D modeling, and/or VFX.
- Solid base in the traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration.
- Have shipped multiple AAA PC or console title as a concept artist.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.