Lunarch is seeking to add new developers to our talented engineering roster for our upcoming title (a multiplayer puzzle game for PC and consoles developed in Unreal Engine).
This is an extremely challenging project (with 100-person multiplayer, MMO-like features, and dozens of 2D and 3D puzzle types). Accordingly, we’re looking for highly intelligent and passionate devs who are at the absolute peak of their game and are eager to advance the state of the art by bringing an entirely new genre to life.
- Minimum 5 years (ideally 10+) in software or game development.
- At least one shipped title, ideally in the space of high-fidelity 3D PC and console games. More = better, but quality over quantity. Bonus points if you’ve worked on games-as-a-service (MMOs, battle royales, etc.), AAA first person titles, open world games, or puzzle games.
- A background in mathematics, computer science, or a related discipline (usually a degree, though we’ve hired some legendary people who lack one!)
- Expert-level knowledge (both broad and deep) of Unreal Engine, with a mastery of Unreal Blueprints or C++ (ideally both)
- Expertise in several of UE4's core subsystems (e.g. graphics, AI, procedural generation, animation, gameplay abilities, UMG, FX/particles, tech art, perf-tuning, backend dev, UE4 tooling/extending, console porting, etc.)
- Incredible problem-solving ability.
- Bonus points if you're experienced in multiplayer games or network programming (particularly for MMOs or 100-player multiplayer).
- Develop and commit features for a high-fidelity multiplayer puzzle game for PCs and consoles (tasks will align with your skills, interests, and background).
- Add new functionality each week for our weekly external playtests.
- Execute flawlessly, bringing a high level of polish and craftsmanship to our products.
- Contribute to the creative process of building a large open world multiplayer puzzle game.
- Fix bugs as needed.
- Prototype new gameplay features, puzzle designs, and multiplayer interactions.
- Get a lot of work done in a remote environment.
Tech we use:
- Unreal Engine
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- UE4 Blueprints
- Salary: USD 75k-150k/yr (possibly higher for top-tier candidates)
About Lunarch Studios:
Lunarch is a small (<10 people, but growing significantly in 2021) Canadian game developer founded in 2013 by a group of math olympiad champions, professional poker players, and MIT PhD students. We develop cutting-edge, intelligent games that leverage technology to create novel and deep experiences for smart players. Our products are ambitious, one-of-a-kind titles that define new genres and innovate in multiple directions at once. Their creation demands exceptional intelligence, creativity, and hard work.
We're the developers behind Prismata—a multiplayer strategy game that blends elements of RTS, deckbuilders, and board games. Our upcoming title (“Project Sophia”) is similarly innovative and aims to bring large-scale multiplayer gameplay to the 3D puzzle genre (Portal, The Witness, Zelda, etc.).
Lunarch is more like a tech startup than a traditional game studio. We're in a competitive space that rewards quickness and demands high-quality work that meets all requirements on the first try. Ideal candidates are exceptionally intelligent, knowledgeable about games, and highly productive. We love people who have excelled in competitions (math/programming contests, puzzlehunts, science fairs, infosec CTF, competitive gaming, poker, etc.), people with heroic academic accomplishments (awards, publications, etc.), or people with proven track records or killer portfolios (shipped games or jaw-dropping work in art/animation/audio/UI/design/etc.).
The benefits of Lunarch include an excellent work culture and high-tier compensation (aiming to be competitive with tech startups), but most importantly, you’ll contribute to ambitious titles that aim to make meaningful advances to the state of the art. We operate in an ideal mid-budget space: we’re sufficiently well-funded to hire the best people, do high-quality work, and promote our titles widely, but we’re not constrained by the AAA need to stick with low-risk designs for mass-market audiences. You will make an impact here.
Lunarch Studios Inc. is looking to hire a Senior or higher UE4 Developer at their Remote location. Job contains the tags Remote, Senior, Lead, English, Unreal, C++, Designer, Programmer and Producer.