Frontier are the studio behind Planet Zoo, Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We have a new opening for a Senior System Administrator join our growing IT Support team. This is a hands-on role responsible for maintaining and upgrading our software, hardware and network infrastructure. We are looking for a friendly, approachable individual who has an exceptional interest in computers, happy working on their own or in a team.
- Responsible for the smooth running of internal systems for our business-support departments and game teams
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs
- Monitoring and tuning of infrastructure to deliver performance and high reliability
- Handling 3rd line issues reporting by in-house team members and seeing problems through from initial diagnosis to resolution
- Apply and maintain OS and Software patches and upgrades on a regular basis
- Prioritise and managing several open projects and issues at one time
- Documenting process and procedures using internal CMS systems
- Mentoring/cross train other members of the team on existing and new technologies
- Provide after-hours support for emergencies as well as occasional evening maintenance
- Carry out special tasks at Management’s discretion
- Deep understanding of computer systems, servers, software and networking
- Resourcefulness is a necessary skill in this role. You should be able to diagnose and resolve problems quickly
- You should also have the patience to communicate with a variety of interdisciplinary teams and users
- Be able to project manage and take responsibility for improvements/changes as required by the business
- Excellent analytical problem solving skills
- Exceptional listening and questioning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have excellent attention to detail with a can-do attitude
- Ability to prioritise tasks and multi-task happily
- There will be a requirement for lifting IT equipment such as PCs, printers, monitors and other associated hardware
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Proven experience as a System Administrator in a commercial capacity
- Solid experience and knowledge of maintaining a Windows Sever 2008R2-2016 Active Directory environment including DNS, DHCP, DFS
- Strong knowledge of Linux environments – Centos/Ubuntu
- Experience of WAMP/LAMP Stacks - Apache, NGINX, IIS, MS SQL Server, MySQL Server
- Good experience of Virtualisation in Windows Hyper-V Cluster and Citrix Xen
- Skills in LAN Routing, switching, VLAN design, configuration and troubleshooting
- Ability to create and maintain tools/scripts in C#, DOS, Powershell, Python among others
- Ability to trouble-shoot network issues including back-bone infrastructure
- Managing in excess of 50 Windows/Linux servers & infrastructure
- Experience of Dell server hardware, SAN’s and Backup systems
- Experience of maintaining & configuring Network switches and Wireless APCs – Dell, HP, Cisco
- Experience of Microsoft Exchange and MS Teams
- Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Exposure to and understanding Software deployment and patch management
- Experience of working in a fast-paced game or other development environment
- Exposure to Cloud environments of AWS and Azure
- Exposure to a wide-range of development software packages such as JIRA, Confluence, Hansoft, FlexLM, Docker, Autodesk 3D Studio Max, Autodesk Maya, Adobe Creative Suite and Visual Studio
- Familiarity with Change Control processes and ITIL standards
- Knowledge of Samsung Phone Exchange and associated peripherals
What we can offer you?
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 500+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, childcare vouchers, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.