Technical Director / Architect
Wizards Of The Coast is looking to hire a Technical Director / Architect at their Renton, WA, USA location. Job contains the tags AAA, Unreal and Tech.
Over here at Tuque Games we 💗 gaming. We play games that provide players with meaningful choices. We founded the studio back in 2012 with the goal of assembling an all-star crew of developers to make outstanding games. Our first title, Livelock, established a creative new IP as well as a solid foundation to grow the studio and the games we love to make. Tuque was acquired by Wizards of the Coast in 2019!
We're making the kind of games we love to play - and it just so happens a lot of other gamers like to play them as well! Every day we strive to impress and delight players around the world and when we help to make them smile, it's all worth it.
Are you a video game engineering lead with a broad knowledge of game systems (MP/Online, networking infrastructure, 3D/rendering, AI, animation, game mechanics, tools) who is at ease in organizing teams of technical developers and content creators throughout the production cycle? If so, this role could be for you!
What you'll do:
- Define the long term strategic goals for engine, technology and processes and build sound architectures to support them
- Research and develop new technology directives to support the team's development and set the technical roadmap to build industry leading systems
- Optimizing and maintaining the software architecture of the game, technology, pipeline and tools
- Provide technical direction for all gameplay, engine, tool, runtime, pipeline, networking etc systems
- Support and develop a team of programmers both internally and externally throughout the phases of the project
- Work with other cross-functional groups such as game design, art, animation, audio to determine team and game code needs
- Collaborate with the team of engineers to guide technical designs, establish code framework and standards, check-in process, code reviews etc
- Audit development plans, including engineering designs, processes, resource use, task assessments, quality and risk of technical completion
- Ensure the quality, performance, and stability of technical deliverables
- Improve team efficiency through identifying bottlenecks and proposing solutions
- Defend standard software development processes and standard methodologies against requirements, design, implementation and testing
- Maintaining the programming backlog (in JIRA), keeping track of the project scope for programming and working with other subject area leads to find solutions to scope issues
- Represent the programming team as a studio lead and report to the studio's leadership team
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- 10+ years software development experience and C/C+(UE preferred)
- 5+ years of technical leadership experience as a technical director or architect in the production of large, high-quality games
- Excellent 3D math skills, experience in UE4 (preferred) and experience in multi-threading
- Shipped at least 3 AAA titles, on PC & Consoles while managing direct reports
- Solid knowledge of game technology domains, spanning client (rendering, animation, AI, cameras, controls, asset management), server and infrastructure; deep knowledge of at least one client domain
- Constantly innovating on how to improve product quality as well as group productivity
Job discovered on 6/27/2020